Monday, April 11, 2011

Walk a paragraph assignment

The cool dampness of the earth underneath me felt nice on this warm sunny afternoon. I lay there thinking about absolutely nothing, which was nice for a change. I was at peace. I open my eyes to see her walking across the field towards me, although her walk looks more like a graceful dance. As she came closer all I wanted to do was see her face again. However I knew this wouldn’t happen. Every night I have this dream and I knew when it was going to end. Just as she was coming into focus I could hear in the background the strange, but familiar sounding buzz of my alarm. Everything went hazy and then I was awakened back into reality, alone in my bed with my heart rate elevated slightly. My dark apartment still smells of the fish I had for dinner last night. I lay there for a bit to calm myself before I get ready to face another day full of the reminders that my wife was no longer alive. Eventually I sluggishly pull back the blankets and step out of bed causing the old floors to creak, surely annoying Mrs. Hemles downstairs. After showering I didn’t bother to do anything to my hair since I was going to get it cut this morning. I pulled on my old blue jeans and a T-shirt, stepped into my runners and put on my old green jacket that smells of the mints I keep in the pocket for my grandchildren. I should really think about replacing it sometime in the near future. On my way out the door I say goodbye to my best friend. He is my very old German shepherd named Sam. I take a quick look in the mirror and then I wish that I hadn’t. I hate seeing the wrinkled face that greets me instead of the quite handsome one that I would have seen a number of years ago. Well, no sense wishing for the past when I still have the future to look forward to I tell myself. I step out in to the crisp winter morning and drive to the small building full of pointless stores that my small town calls a mall. I’m a bit early and I have about 20 minutes until anything opens. It’s amazing how slow time goes when wandering alone in the mall. A group of teenagers pass me carrying binders and papers following some person, how does he not notice that they are following him? I am now standing in front of my hair salon, they are getting close to opening. I love being their first customer, when you come early there isn’t very many people there and they are more personal. Its nice to talk to people for a change. I mean Sams great because he just listens to everything I have to say but getting a reply back is the great thing that I miss about talking to people. I probably don’t need to get my hair cut twice a month but its an outing that I greatly look foreword to. My hair dresser came around to open the doors and greeted me with a huge smile and said “hello James! It’s good to see you.” That there makes this trip worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment